We love tacos and we very much enjoy trying new fillings. So, we were super excited to try the Alkaline Tacos from The Blender Girl by Tess Masters! We have experimented with a few Walnut Meat recipes, but her recipe called for walnuts AND almonds…that was a mix we had not tried before. My gosh…they were SO tasty….we’ve had them 4 or 5 times now using romaine and/or flour tortillas.
Things You Need To Know
The first time we used this recipe, we used Romaine Lettuce as the taco shell. Then my husband headed back overseas and I decided to keep myself busy by attempting to make homemade flour tortillas. I bought a cute little tortilla press and everything! I was so ready to whip up a tortilla masterpiece….and I failed miserably! They were a disaster! My friend, Claudia, explained what I did wrong…..apparently you only use a press to make CORN tortillas…..flour tortillas are rolled by hand. Hahaha!!! She didn’t make fun of me, but I bet she was laughing on the inside! Ooops!
My husband was the first of us to try this recipe and he did an awesome job. When I tried it myself, I “processed” the taco meat too long and ended up with a yucky paste. He reminded me that I should have kept an eye on things and just pulsed a few times until it looked like walnut taco meat. Now I am a pro and I get it right each time. 🙂
I added extra coriander and a little bit of Liquid Smoke to the taco meat and I added corn to the pico de gallo
For the pico de gallo, I skipped the oil.
She suggests using her Slick Sour Cream recipe to make a sour cream topping, but I have not done this simply because I don’t care for sour cream on my tacos. My youngest daughter makes an AWESOME sour cream out of cashews though….I’ll share her recipe soon! (she uses it for vegan ranch…yumm!)
What You'll Need - For The Taco Meat
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked
- 2 Tablespoons cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp chilli powder
- 1 ½ Tbp Bragg Liquid Aminos or tamari
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp parsley
What You'll Need To Do - For The Taco Meat
- Put the walnuts and almonds into your high speed blender or food processor and pulse until broken up.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, spices, liquid aminos, salt, and parsley and pulse until the tomatoes are well incorporated and the mixture is “red and meaty” looking.
- Tweak flavors to taste (you may want to add more liquid aminos and salt) and set aside.
What You'll Need - For The Pico De Gallo
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 11/2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon minced Serrano chile, plus more to taste
- Natural salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
What You'll Need To Do - For the Pico De Gallo
- To make the pico de gallo, combine the tomatoes, cilantro, onion, olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chile, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and the pepper.
- Tweak flavors to taste (you may like more cilantro, garlic, chile, lime juice, onion, or salt).
You Will Also Need....
- 20 medium and large romaine leaves, or other foldable, not-too-soft leaf lettuce, washed and dried OR pre-made tortillas
- 1 or 2 avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced, to garnish
- Sour Cream, to garnish
To assemble the tacos, scoop about 1 tablespoon (depending on the size of the lettuce leaf) of the taco filling into the groove of the leaf. Add a spoonful of pico de gallo, a couple of avocado slices, and a drizzle of sour cream. Repeat with the remaining leaves.
These can be prepared so many ways and you can totally make them your own! The taco filling lasts for days in the fridge, so I use leftovers to add flavor to salads, etc.
I’ve posted THREE awesome recipes from The Blender Girl Cookbook this week….remember, all 100 of her recipes are Vegan and Gluten-Free! Have you enjoyed this preview of her book? Does having a preview help with your decision to purchase or are you just a cookbook addict like me? 🙂 If you decide to try her cookbook, please check out her recipes for Corn Chowder and Fluffy Pancakes! You won’t regret it! ~ Keenun
THIS RECIPE REPRINTED WITH PERMISSION FROM THE BLENDER GIRL: SUPER-EASY, SUPER-HEALTHY MEALS, SNACKS, DESSERTS, AND DRINKS–100 GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN RECIPES! BY TESS MASTERS, COPYRIGHT © 2014